Sunday, August 7, 2011

Thea Blue


Another of the things that inspire me is color.  Mind you, exactly which color tickles my fancy is a day-to-day (sometimes moment-to-moment) thing.  I’m delightfully fickle that way.

The one color that seems to have stood the test of time is cobalt blue.  My late mother-in-law dubbed it ‘Thea Blue’ when she saw how many rooms in our house I decorated with elements of cobalt.  Don’t get me wrong; there are healthy doses of other colors in most of the rooms.  But cobalt blue is the dominant color in both the kitchen and master bath, while it’s a secondary color in the master bedroom, and there’s a touch of it here and there throughout the rest of the house. 

It’s no surprise, then, that a great deal of my jewelry is designed with cobalt blue beads and components.  This necklace, made of Indian lampwork beads, is one of my favorites.
 

It’s not surprising that a deep, dark blue would go so well with light colors like white, as in these earrings


Or gold, as in this multi strand necklace



But look what it does for black (and vice-versa) in this art moderne style brooch!


 
Cobalt blue is a very complex color; that is, it’s blue with a whole boat-load of other colors mixed in.  One of those colors is purple, which is why this collar necklace is such a success.



Bye for now.  I’ve gotta go make something in Thea Blue while the mood’s still on me.



No comments:

Post a Comment